John Glen Arao-arao, 35, considered by the police to be “the most wanted carnapper in Cebu City” despite having stolen only one vehicle, said he feared for his life under the presidency of Rodrigo Duterte.
“Usa sa akong gikakulbaan kay nakadaug si Digong, nya isog ba, (One of the things that got me nervous was that Digong won and he’s ruthless),” Arao-arao said.
Speaking in Cebuano, Arao-arao said, “My conscience is clean but I fear for my life.”
He surrendered to the Investigation and Detective Management Branch (IDMB) Friday night at Pier 1 in Cebu City.
Arao-arao is listed as the number one car thief in Oplan Lambat-Sibat in Cebu City.
Arao-arao said he panicked when Duterte was elected. Duterte won on a campaign promise to go after criminals to bring back peace and order in the country.
Arao-arao said he had voted for Sen. Grace Poe because Duterte scared him.
Arao-arao’s brother, a member of the auxiliary Barangay Intelligence Network (BIN) of the IDMB, had persuaded him to surrender.
Arao-arao had fled Alaska, Barangay Mambaling in Cebu City and had gone to Tanauan, Leyte to hide. He stayed in the nearby province for two years and found work as a helper in a hardware store.
He said his brother had kept mum about his whereabouts.
But they were shocked to learn that he, John Glen, was number one in the Lambat-Sibat Most Wanted list.
Police Supt. Aileen Recla of the IDMB said Arao-arao’s arrest warrant for carnapping was issued by Regional Trial Court Judge Raphael Yrastorza and his bail was set at P100,000.
Recla lauded the support of incoming Mayor Tomas Osmeña for the police force.
She said people in conflict with the law are getting scared, which she sees as an effect of what Osmeña is doing for the police.
She urged that those who have arrest warrants to surrender because police will presume them to be armed and dangerous.
In November 2015, Arao-arao had stolen the jeepney-type vehicle of his older sister and sold it for P10,000. His sister had bought it with their father’s money for P60,000.
Arao-arao said he stole and sold the vehicle to buy canned goods for their father whose care had been placed solely under him.
It was only a family problem, he said.
Arao-arao said he hopes the case against him will be dismissed, the complainant being his sister.
There were no other criminal records under Arao-arao’s name in the last two years as far as the IDMB knows, Recla said.
In another development, another man surrendered to the Moalboal Police Station when he learned that a warrant of arrest has been issued against him.
Mark Anthony Deniega, 36, is accused of violating two counts of the Anti-Violence Against Women and Children Act of 2004 and the Anti-Carnapping Act.
Judge Leopoldo Cañete of the Regional Trial Court of Barili set his bail at P182,000.
Last Friday, an alleged hired killer also surrendered to Supt. Michael Michael Bastes, City Intelligence Branch chief (CIB) because he also feared for his safety.
So what can you say about this one? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below, and don’t forget to share this blog post to your family and friends online. And also, visit our website more often for more updates.